This Toolkit includes resources that can help your school, school district or organization personalize learning for all learners. You can use this toolkit to:
- develop the common language and understanding around personalizing learning.
- provide a closer look at the differences of Personalization, Differentiation and Individualization.
- understand why Personalized Learning and Universal Design for Learning are the cornerstones to creating learner-centered environments and in developing agency with all learners.
- provide an understanding of the Stages of Personalized Learning Environments (PLE) and that there is a process to create learner-centered and learner-driven environments .
- guide the changes that occur in a PLE with the Stages of Concern about Personalized Learning.
- inform your understanding of the elements of Learner Agency in a PLE with the Crosswalk of the 7 Elements of Learner Agency Across the Stages of PLE.
Personalization vs. Differentiation vs. Individualization (PDI) Chart, v3 (2014)
This PDI Chart was originally developed in January 2012 to provide an explanation of the differences of these three terms from the perspective of the learner. This chart was updated in 2014 and is currently used in schools and higher education on six continents, has been downloaded by millions of educators worldwide and has been translated in many languages.
Personalization vs. Differentiation vs. Individualization (PDI) Report, v3 (2014)
The PDI Report provides an explanation of the terms in the PDI Chart and offers insight on what the distinct differences are and why we need to be clear on what it means to the learner.
Stages of Personalized Learning Environments (PLE), v5 (2016)
The Stages of Personalized Learning Environments (PLE) was recently updated with the publication of How to Personalize Learning. The Stages of PLE describe the process as schools and teachers move from a teacher-centered environment with learner voice and choice to learner-centered environments and finally, learner-driven environments. At each stage, the roles of teachers and learners change as the learner takes more ownership to his or her learning.
CBAM: Stages of Concern about Personalized Learning (2013)
The Stages of Concern about Personalized Learning is based on the CBAM (Computer-Based Adoption Model) and describes the various stages of concern that educators go through when creating the change to personalized learning environments. It offers a set of specific strategies to help support the change in order to build and sustain the transformation to personalized learning.
Crosswalk of the Elements of Learner Agency across the Stages of Personalized Learning Environments (PLE) (2016)
The Crosswalk of the Elements of Learner Agency across the Stages of PLE offers insight in the 7 elements of learner agency and what is occurring with the learner at each stage. The illustration related to each of the 7 elements and the in-depth explanation of what the learner is experiencing can be found in How to Personalize Learning.
Some of these charts have been cross-posted from Personalize Learning.
If you would like to make copies of these charts, please make that request through the Contact Me Form.